This gingerbread cake is moist, yummy and full of the perfect blend of autumn spices. We also recommend pairing it with this delicious pumpkin mousse (linked in the ingredients list) to top the cake. You will not be able to get enough!
Gingerbread Cake [Vegan]
- 4 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 1/2 cup Light Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Ground Flax Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Warm Water
- 1 cup of Hot water
- 1/2 cup of Molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of Ground Cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups of All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon of Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Optional: pair with this pumpkin mousse
- Combine ground flax seed with hot water and whisk smooth
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes to thicken to a paste
- In the meantime, cream the softened vegan butter with the light brown sugar on medium -high speed until very light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Scrape bowl periodically to ensure even mixing
- Sift together all the dry ingredients from the baking soda to the cocoa powder and reserve.
- Add the molasses to the hot water
- Add the flax paste to the creaming vegan butter and sugar mixture, and mix well.
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients, blend well
- Then add 1/2 of the molasses/water mixture slowly while mixing on low speed
- Stop and scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl often
- Repeat the process with another 1/3 of the dry, the remaining liquids and then the last addition of dry ingredients
- Pour the batter into a greased and parchment lined 8 inch cake pan and bake immediately in preheated 350°F oven approximately 30-40 minutes or when it is springy to the touch when you gently press the center or a toothpick inserted comes out clean