This poppy seed cake is perfect for coffee or an after dinner sweet. The cake itself is dense and moist and there is a layer of sweet poppy seed compote spread in the middle of it which give it a little extra sweetness. Plus, this cake is easy to make so you can whip it up in a pinch.
German Poppy Seed Cake [Vegan]
For the Poppy Dough:
- 1 3/4 cups, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons ground poppy seeds
- 5 ounces dates
- 2 1/5 cups almond milk
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons psyllium husks
For the Dough:
- 1 3/4 cups, plus 2 3/4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 banana
- A pinch of salt
To Make the Poppy Dough:
- Soak the dates in half the almond milk. In a pot, bring the rest of the almond milk to a boil.
- In a blender, purée the dates with the milk and the psyllium husks.
- Remove the heated almond milk from the heat and mix with the poppy seeds and the date cream. Return to heat and bring to a boil.
- Now allow the dough to cool well.
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, then knead to combine.
- Put 2/3 of the dough into a form and press down. Now spread the poppy dough evenly over it.
- Place the rest of the dough on top of that and then sprinkle poppy seeds over the top.
- Bake in an oven at heat for about 45 minutes.
- Then allow the cake to cool on a rack.