Maultauschen are German pasta pockets similar to ravioli that are traditionally filled with meat but can easily be made vegan! These ones are stuffed with the very traditional flavors of spinach and nutmeg. Pasta making made easy.
Maultauschen: German Spinach and Mushroom Ravioli [Vegan]
For the Pasta Dough:
- 1 cup wheat flour
- Scant 1 cup corn semolina
- 1 tablespoon grape seed or olive oil
- 2/3 cup water
For the Filling:
- 5.3 ounces potatoes
- 2 cups and 2 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 3.5 ounces spinach
- 7 ounces mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh herbs (parsley and chives)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, semolina, water, and oil.
- Stir until dough comes together and roll into ball.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for one hour.
- In the meantime, cut potatoes into cubes and cook in vegetable stock until soft.
- In a large skillet, heat oil until hot, then add onion and cook for 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook everything with the lid on for about 2 minutes.
- Season with nutmeg, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add potatoes and spinach mixture to a high-speed blender and pulse until its forms a coarse mixture (don't overdo it, you don't want a smoothie-like texture) or use a hand held blender.
- Unwrap dough and divide into 2 equal pieces.
- On a floured surface roll out rectangular pieces as thinly as possible.
- Cut pasta dough into equally sized rectangles, about 4 x 4-inch.
- With the help of two spoons, spread the mixture on every second rectangle.
- Take the empty rectangles, put them on top of the rectangles with filling, and press the edges with the prongs of a fork. Repeat until dough or filling is finished.
- Bring water to boil and let the pockets simmer for 15 -20 minutes.
- Top with fresh herbs. Serve with caramelized onions and some olive oil, a simple green salad, in a soup, or even with tomato sauce.