While apfelkuchen is literally translated apple cake, you will find the term used to refer to a number of German desserts, some resembling more of a pie or crumble while others more closely fit what we think of as a cake. Either way, they are all delicious and perfect for fall! This cake is unusual in that it has a staggered baking process. The first step ensures that the apples have enough time to dry out before they get covered with the almond topping. It also prevents the almonds from browning too much before the cake underneath is cooked.
German Apple Cake With Candied Almond Topping [Vegan]
To Make the Cake:
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons of water
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced thin
To Make the Almond Topping:
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the nondairy milk, sugar, chia seed mixture, oil, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt until completely blended. Set both bowls aside and peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
- Combine the flour mix into the wet mixture and whisk until combined. Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch round springform pan. Scatter the sliced apples evenly over the top of the batter and bake for 20 minutes.
- After the cake has been in the oven for 15 minutes, make the almond topping by combining the sugar, nondairy milk, coconut oil, and sliced almonds in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. Stir it occasionally and let it simmer on low until the cake timer goes off.
- Gently remove the cake from the oven and place on the counter. Pour the very hot almond mixture evenly over the top of the apples and immediately put it back in the oven for another 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, the topping should be golden brown and bubbling. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on the counter completely before slicing and serving.