This simple, humble, and impromptu recipe uses split red lentils (mosoor dal) and takes just minutes to put together with almost no preparation time. It's the perfect creamy, hearty dish to serve up on any chilly fall or winter weeknight.
Garlic and Spinach Lentils [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Garlic and Spinach Lentils [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 3 cloves of garlic (large), chopped
- 1 whole dry red chili
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 9 ounces spinach (frozen or fresh)
How to Prepare Garlic and Spinach Lentils [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- Wash the lentils thoroughly in a pan.
- Add the water, salt and turmeric and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and cook, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In another small pan, heat the butter.
- Add dry red chili, garlic, sugar, and red chili powder. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add chopped tomato and sauté until the tomato has softened.
- Add the tomato mixture and spinach to the lentil.
- Adjust seasoning, bring it to a boil, and serve hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 187 | Carbs: 32 g | Fat: 0 g | Protein: 13 g | Sodium: 1118 mg | Sugar: 1 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.