Oil-free garlic smashed potatoes are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Perfectly browned and bursting with garlic flavor, it's hard not to eat these directly from the sheet pan!
Garlic Smashed Potatoes [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes
- 1/4 cup aquafaba, the water leftover from a can of chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Snipped chives for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Parchment paper is essential in oil-free roasting to ensure your food does not stick to the pan.
- Instant Pot Version: Place stainless steel trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot and add 1 cup cold water. Add the potatoes and set them to high pressure for 12 minutes. Allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes and then release the rest of the way manually. A fork should easily slide into the potatoes without resistance. If this doesn't happen, cook under high pressure for another couple of minutes, releasing the pressure manually right away.
- Drain potatoes and put on prepared baking sheet. Using a potato masher or the bottom of a glass, firmly smash down the potatoes so that the skin is broken open and some of the fluffy inside is showing, but the potato is still intact.
- Mix together aquafaba, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Brush the smashed potatoes with the aquafaba mixture, then flip the potatoes and brush the other side.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until brown and crispy on the underside. Flip the potatoes and roast another 8-10 minutes until lightly browned and crispy on the bottom.
- Garnish with chives if desired and enjoy!
Stovetop Version: Add potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until no resistance is met when pierced with a fork. Drain and proceed with the recipe at Step 3 above.