Fudgy, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate cookies with pistachio nuts and a secret ingredient: pumpkin seed butter! They need to bake slightly longer than traditional cookies, but they retain that gooey, fudgy center. These cookies are an all-round crowd-pleaser and perfect comfort food for young and old.
Fudgy Chocolate, Pistachio, and Pumpkin Seed Butter Cookies [Vegan]
- 1.25 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup caster (white) sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3-4 tbsp soy milk, slightly warm*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- half a jar, or 3 oz / 1/3 cup pumpkin seed butter**
- Line two baking trays with baking parchment paper. Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients together. Make a well int he bowl with dry ingredients and pour in the wet. Mix with a wooden spoon to combine evenly, then use your hands to finish the job.
- Form 16 large balls from the dough and place them onto the trays, flattening them slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy still slightly warm or cool. Keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
*It's important to make the soy milk just a little warm (for example in the microwave or on the stove) because if it's cold it will react with the melted coconut oil and harden it before you get a chance to mix it with the other ingredients. **I haven't tried using other seed butters in this recipe, but sunflower seed butter has a similar consistency to pumpkin seed butter and would probably work well here, though the flavor would be altered.