This frittata with chard and red pepper is the perfect consistency between a quiche without crust and an omelet. Instead of egg, it is made with extra firm tofu and filled with deliciously fresh ingredients bursting with flavor and benefits for the body.
Frittata With Swiss Chard and Red Pepper [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 block extra firm tofu (about 1 pound - 454 grams)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 4 cups of chopped Swiss chard
- ½ cup chopped roasted red pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF degrees.
- In a skillet, add olive oil and garlic for about three minutes. Cook only until garlic is lightly browned and tender, be careful you do not burn it. Add the chard and let it wilt.
- In a food processor, blend the tofu (I drain it well before adding it), a tablespoon of tamari, Dijon, turmeric and salt. Press until it is all well integrated.
- Pour the mixture of tofu into the pan where the greens were cooked and add the red pepper. If the chard released much liquid during cooking, remove some of it so it is not too watery of a mix. Mix the ingredients well with a spatula and then smooth the top of the frittata.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
If you use a pan that can be put into the oven (like cast iron) it's better so everything can be done in a single pan. If you make the frittata in muffin cups, mix tofu mixture and cooked filing in a separate bowl and then fill the muffin tins. They won't need as long in the over, so check them after 20 minutes to see if they are already firm. You can use jarred roasted red pepper too, it's equally good.