Even though the holiday season has passed, it's never too late to make these scones. Studded with tart cranberries punched with the sting of ginger tempered with the subtlety of orange zest sweetened with sugar it’s perfect with the morning coffee or afternoon tea.
Fresh Cranberry Scones [Vegan]
- 1 package fresh cranberries, minimum 6 ounces, maximum 12 ounces
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, not packed
- 2 1/4 cups AP flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of 2 organic oranges
- 1/4 chopped candied ginger
- 10 tablespoons chilled coconut oil, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 soy/almond milk
- Preheat oven 350ºF and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In food processor, pulse the cranberries with the brown sugar and orange zest. go for chunky. put in large mixing bowl, set aside.
- In food processor, pulse the AP flower, baking powder and salt. add in the coconut oil and pulse until pea-sized crumbles appear.
- Mix the flour mixture with the cranberries in the mixing bowl. add the milk and stir until it just comes together.
- Dust counter with a bit of flour, dump dough onto it. form a disk/thick circle. cut into quarters, and within those quarters cut 3 wedges.
- Carefully transfer wedges on prepared baking sheet and bake for 40-45 minutes, rotating the baking sheet half way through.
- The edges and bottom will darken a little, but the interior will be tender and crumbly.
- Serve warm, as is, or drizzled with icing (you can make a quick icing slurry of 2 teaspoons the milk used + enough powdered sugar to get a thickened but drizzly consistency, anywhere from 10-15 tablespoons).