Vegan French Toast with Spiced Plums for a hearty and delicious brunch recipe.
French Toast With Spiced Plums [Vegan]
For the French Toast:
- 4 slices thickly sliced sourdough bread (must use a thick sturdy bread or your French Toast will be soggy)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- coconut oil, for the pan
For the Spiced Plums:
- 3 tablespoons coconut butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 large ripe plums, pitted and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- Begin by pan-frying the plums. Put the butter and sugar in a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. When it begins to bubble, put the plums into the pan. Sprinkle over the spices and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally. The plums should be well coated with the glossy syrup. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond milk, flour, nutritional yeast, and cinnamon
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and drizzle small amount of coconut oil
- Dip the bread in the mixture, turning to coat both sides evenly.
- When the pan has heated up, add the bread slices cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Put the plums back over the heat to warm through.
- Serve the plums on the bread, making sure to use up all the spiced buttery syrup.