French Pesto Pasta Soup, from Dawn at Florida Coastal Cooking & Wellness, is a favorite. It’s got tender brown rice pasta, is full of delicious veggies – fennel, Swiss chard, kale, onions, garlic, carrots, and tomatoes, and is topped with a herbed pesto.
French Pesto Pasta Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons broth or olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 fennel bulb plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- 1/2 cup chopped parsnips
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 rounded tablespoon dried herbs de provence*
- 1 can diced tomatoes, liquid drained
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 large kale, spinach or Swiss chard leaves
- 1/2 cup dried rice or quinoa macaroni noodles
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon (plus more for each serving)
- 1/4 cup or more, nutritional yeast
- Crusty bread for serving
For the Pesto
- 1/4 cup broth or olive oil
- 4 cups fresh herbs and greens*
- 2 cloves of garlic
- a few pinches coarse salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Heat 2 tablespoons broth or olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat; add onion, stirring frequently until soft; add garlic and fennel, and season with salt and pepper; add parsnips, carrots and herbes de provence; cook for about 8 more minutes.
- Add a small amount of veggie broth to deglaze the pan; scraping any brown bits off the bottom; add the remaining broth, tomatoes and beans. Reduce heat and simmer until root veggies are soft – about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place all pesto ingredients in food processor; taste and re-season if necessary.
- Chop the kale or Swiss chard leaves and stir into pot, macaroni noodles and fennel fronds, and continue to simmer until the noodles are cooked, about 10 more minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Finish with generous squeezes of lemon, extra nutritional yeast, and a spoonful of pistou, per bowl. Serve with crusty bread.
- *Herbs and greens such as basil, thyme, tarragon, kale and spinach
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per serving: Calories 186.8 | Carbs: 36.4 g | Fat: 0.5 g | Protein: 11.1 g | Sodium: 977.6 mg | Sugar: 6.5 g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile