The sautéed onions and seasoned chickpeas in this recipe create the perfect texture to pair with spinach in cheesy cashew sauce. Wrap it all up in a whole grain tortilla that gets crispy and warm when baked – yum! These burritos are great for breakfast — and you can freeze them, meaning less hassle!
Freezable Cheesy Chickpea Burritos [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews (soaked overnight for at least 8 hours)
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked and skin removed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 small/medium white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas with the aquafaba (liquid from canned chickpeas)
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard (powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced.
- Combine all ingredients for sauce in a high-powered blender. Set aside.
- Add a dash of oil to a large skillet on medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, until starting to turn translucent. Add garlic. Let cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans with the aquafaba into the skillet with the onions. Add spices and stir.
- Cook mixture on medium heat until all the aquafaba is absorbed and the mixture is no longer liquidy. Add spinach and allow to wilt, stir into mixture.
- Warm tortillas. You can do this in the microwave or in a slightly warm oven, your choice. It makes them more pliable when they are warm.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add about 1/4 cup of chickpea mixture (maybe less depending on your rolling skills) onto the bottom half of a tortilla. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons cheesy sauce on top of the mixture. Now roll up the burrito.
- Fold by rolling in the left and right edges of the tortilla. Then starting from the bottom of the tortilla, where the mixture is, rolling it upwards. Since you folded the sides in, none of your mixture can escape.
- Place rolled burritos on a cookie sheet and cook in oven for 10-15 minutes, or until burritos just start to turn golden brown.
If you plan on freezing burritos, skip the oven step until you are ready to actually eat them.