This is a very simple dish. I sneaked in something simple but surprisingly flavorful into this black rice -- I added a touch of ginger, hint of coconut, and finished it off with lime. The grain cooks up slightly sticky and changes to a very deep and pretty shade of purple, so the rice is also called forbidden rice or purple rice.
Forbidden Black Rice With Ginger and Coconut [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of black or forbidden rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 fresh lime or lemon
- Heat the coconut oil on medium heat until the oil is nice and hot.
- Add in the ginger and saute lightly until fragrant.
- Add in the salt and the rice and stir well.
- Add in the water and bring to a simmer and cover and cook the rice for 40 minutes on medium low heat.
- The water should evaporate and the rice should be soft at this point.
- Let the rice rest for 5 minutes, remove the cover, fluff the rice, squeeze in the lime and serve.