This is such an easy recipe with such rewarding results. It’s perfect to serve as a simple appetizer with some olives and charcuterie, or alongside a big bowl of your favorite soup!
Focaccia With a Salty Top [Vegan]
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (about 2 1/4 teaspoons) instant yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup olive oil, plus more for bowl
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- Oil a large mixing bowl with olive oil and set aside.
- Place flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Give it a couple of turns to combine. Add the warm water and 1/2 cup olive oil and mix on medium speed until the dough comes together. Increase the speed a little and continue to beat until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a large ball and place in the prepared mixing bowl. Twist and turn the dough to coat it in the oil, then cover with plastic wrap or a clean tea towel. Place in a warm, draft-free spot to rise until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Generously oil a cookie sheet with about 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Punch the dough down to release the air inside. Turn it out onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for several minutes to allow the gluten to relax, which will make the dough easier to shape.
- Using the tips of your fingers, evenly push the dough to the edges of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise again until it has doubled in size, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Using a pastry brush, coat the top of the focaccia with the remaining olive oil (you should have about 2 tablespoons left). Use your fingertips to gently stipple the top of the dough to create random little wells, and sprinkle generously with the sea salt and fresh rosemary.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- This bread is delicious hot from the oven but room temperature is just as fantastic. Should you be lucky enough to have leftovers, wrap in plastic wrap and store for up to 3 days.