The best thing about biscuits is that they are done from start to in your mouth in 30 minutes. And when they’re drop biscuits, there is basically no cleanup. Just a bowl. These Fluffy Cornmeal Drop Biscuits are no exception to either of these rules. The addition of cornmeal in these biscuits makes them incredibly flavorful. The sweet corn flavor comes through really well. And the texture of the cornmeal gives is an ever-so-light crunch that is delightful.
Fluffy Cornmeal Drop Biscuits [Vegan]
- 1 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 Cup Yellow Cornmeal (NOT polenta or grits!)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Granulated Sugar
- 8 tablespoons Cold Non-Dairy Butter, cut into cubes
- 2/3 Cup Plain Unsweetened Plant Milk
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice or White Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small measuring cup, combine plant milk and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Add non-dairy butter cubes into the dry ingredients. Cut the butter into the dries with a pastry cutter or two forks until the mixture looks like a coarse meal.
- Pour the plant milk and lemon juice or vinegar mixture into the dry ingredients and fold together with a rubber spatula just until everything is moistened and then stop immediately.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup that has been sprayed with non-stick spray, portion biscuits onto the parchment-lined sheet tray leaving at least 2 inches of space between each biscuit.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown across the entire bottom.
- Cool slightly and enjoy while warm. Freeze what you don't eat that day and reheat in the oven or toaster oven for best results.