A simple, slightly tangy rendition of alu palak, a classic Indian spinach and potato dish. It is healthy, comforting, and pairs beautifully with most dishes. It also makes a complete dish since it has both vegetables and carbohydrates.
Alu Palak: Curried Potatoes With Spinach [Vegan]
4 - 6
Ingredients You Need for Alu Palak: Curried Potatoes With Spinach [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 red onion, cut into a dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tomatoes, finely diced
- salt to taste
- 4 cups of shredded baby spinach leaves
- 1 lime (optional)
- 1 minced green chili
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
How to Prepare Alu Palak: Curried Potatoes With Spinach [Vegan]
- Heat the oil on medium heat and add in the cumin seeds and wait until they sizzle.
- Add in the onion and the ginger and cook for about 5 minutes until the onions wilt and soften and begin to turn into a golden toffee shade.
- Add in the potatoes, tomatoes, and the salt with 1/2 a cup of water.
- Cover and cook the potatoes on medium low heat for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Add in the spinach leaves and stir well.
- Cook the spinach for 3 to 4 minutes until they wilt and the liquid is all absorbed.
- Cut the lime and squeeze in the juice.
- Stir in the minced chili and sprinkle with red pepper flakes and the chopped cilantro.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.