A simple, slightly tangy rendition of alu palak, a classic Indian spinach and potato dish. It is healthy, comforting, and pairs beautifully with most dishes. It also makes a complete dish since it has both vegetables and carbohydrates.
Alu Palak: Curried Potatoes With Spinach [Vegan]
4 - 6
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 red onion, cut into a dice
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tomatoes, finely diced
- salt to taste
- 4 cups of shredded baby spinach leaves
- 1 lime (optional)
- 1 minced green chili
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil on medium heat and add in the cumin seeds and wait until they sizzle.
- Add in the onion and the ginger and cook for about 5 minutes until the onions wilt and soften and begin to turn into a golden toffee shade.
- Add in the potatoes, tomatoes, and the salt with 1/2 a cup of water.
- Cover and cook the potatoes on medium low heat for 10 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Add in the spinach leaves and stir well.
- Cook the spinach for 3 to 4 minutes until they wilt and the liquid is all absorbed.
- Cut the lime and squeeze in the juice.
- Stir in the minced chili and sprinkle with red pepper flakes and the chopped cilantro.