A burfi is a classic Indian sweet, dense confectionery. These are normally milk based, but there are countless ways to make burfis. These nutty, caramely burfis are perfect as an on the go snack/treat or a small dessert while you're relaxing in the evening. These burfis are also healthy from all of the fruit and nuts. Could you ask for more?
Figs and Date Burfi: Indian ‘Fudge’ [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups dried figs
- 1 1/2 cups dates
- 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts (almonds, pistachios, and cashews)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Wash figs and soak them in hot water for about five minutes.
- Discard water and put them in a grinder and purée them.
- Wash dates and remove the seeds. Chop them fine. Soak them in hot water (1/2 cup) for fifteen minutes and purée the dates.
- Chop the nuts. Heat coconut oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add puréed figs and dates. Cook for about fifteen minutes. Stir continuously while cooking and cook till the mixtures thickens. Add chopped nuts and cook till the mixtures becomes heavy and leaves the sides of the pan and starts gathering as a ball.
- Pour in a greased plate and spread evenly. Leave it to cool. When cold, cut square slices, and store in an airtight container.