This vegan version is equally as creamy, garlic-y, rich and cheesy, but without the fat and calories PLUS this one has a dose of bubbly.
Fettuccine With Vegan Champagne Alfredo [Vegan]
- 2 cups fettucine (we used rainbow pasta but ordinary pasta will do)
- 3 cups plant based milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-6 cloves of garlic
- 2-4 tablespoons arrowroot flour (you can use regular flour too)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup of sparking wine (if you’re going for a more traditional alfredo, just omit this one et
- optional: 1/2 cup cashew cream or vegan cream cheese
- Parsley to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for your pasta.
- Add your lemon juice to your plant based milk and set aside. The lemon curdles the milk a little bit, thickening it into almost a buttermilk.
- If you are going to roast some of your garlic, place the cloves, unpeeled (see photos), with a tbsp of oil in a frying pan. Cook for approximately 7-8 minutes per side, until the garlic is soft. You want the inside to come out like toothpaste when you squeeze the clove.
- Once your garlic if roasted, remove it from the pan, and sauté your minced garlic for approximately 2 minutes, until fragrant but not browned.
- Add 2 tbsp of arrowroot flour and whisk whisk whisk it in with your garlic.
- Pour in your milk/lemon mixture and WHISK WHISK WHISK some more. But seriously, whisk. No one wants a lumpy Alfredo.
- However, if you do end up with some lumps, just pour it in to the blender for a couple of pulses and no one will be the wiser. It’s almost easier to add the roasted garlic in this way as well.
- If you aren’t going to use a blender… whisk whisk whisk that roasted garlic in too!
- And the nutritional yeast, and the cashew cream or vegan cream cheese if you’re using it… is your arm sore yet? KEEP WHISKING.
- Lastly, stir in your bubbly… and take a sip for yourself, that arm has been working hard.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare your pasta, drain and serve with your beautiful sauce.
- Garnish with parsley and prepare to impress your guests (and yourself!).