This superfood salad is as vitamin rich and nutritious, as it is yummy - try it as a post-holiday treat and a break from the heavy food streak. The humble cabbage is incredibly nutritious – it’s a powerhouse of anti-oxidants, and disease-fighting phytochemicals, and its vitamin C content is even higher than that of oranges. Carrots add a boost of vitamin A, and B, and beets – not only are they packed with minerals and vitamins, but their high iron content has a blood purifying and detoxifying effect. Add that to the natural antibiotic power of garlic, the fat from avocados, walnuts, and olive oil, and I think you have a superfood salad! It’s a vitamin bomb, with all the different rainbow-colored vegetables. Vitamin-rich, nutritious, and equally delicious––what more could you want?
Fall Superfood Detox Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Salad:
- 1 small cabbage - red or green
- 5-6 carrots
- 1 red beet
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
For the Dressing:
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Shred cabbage(s), carrots and beets in food processor. Put into a bowl.
- Chop the walnuts roughly (or pulse a few times in the food processor)
- Make dressing by mixing oil, vinegar and pressed garlic cloves.
- Add the chopped fresh dill, walnuts, a few pinches of salt to the veggies. Then pour the dressing in and mix really well. Adjust the salt and acidity if needed (it's better to do this 10-15 min before serving).
- Chop the avocado, and add to the salad, mix lightly. Serve with more chopped walnuts on top.