This crumble is the easiest and most delicious way to celebrate apples in fall. First, the apples are simmered in cinnamon, sugar, lemon juice, and water until soft and they begin to absorb all the flavors. Then, they're spread out in a baking dish and covered with a crumbly, buttery topping of oats and baked until warm and bubbly. This simple dessert is perfect with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
English Apple Crumble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 medium apples, preferably Bramley apples
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven for 355°F.
- Peel and chop the apples to about 1/2-inch-sized cubes. Place in a saucepan with the sugar, lemon juice, water, cinnamon, and raisins, if using. Heat on a medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring every now and then. Place in an 8x8-inch high-sided baking dish.
- Take the oats, flour, baking powder, sugar, and butter and mix roughly together with your hands in a large bowl or preferably, pulse in a food processor. Cover the apples with the topping evenly.
- Place your crumble in the oven and bake until golden, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with vegan custard or ice cream.