Summer is here, and the options for delicious eating are too many to count! But if you insist on enumerating your options, do consider my eggplant pizza slices. Easy, ready in under 30 minutes, and gobble-up-every-last-bit good, they are exactly what you want for dinner tonight (even if you did not know it until this moment!).
Eggplant Pizza Slices [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 medium-large eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fine sea salt and black pepper
- 1-1/4 cups shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (or quartered, if large)
- 3 tablespoons each sliced olives and sliced roasted bell peppers (either or both are optional)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Position eggplant on cutting board with stem side up; using a large knife, cut eggplant into 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Place eggplant slices on prepared baking sheet. Brush top sides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle evenly with vegan cheese, and tomatoes (also add olives, roasted peppers, and/or sunflower seeds, if using).
- Return pan to oven and bake for 7-10 minutes longer until eggplant is tender when pierced with a fork, cheese is melted, and tomatoes are softened.
- Top eggplant slices with arugula and serve.
To store, put cooled leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 day.