Kebab is one of the most common street foods in the Middle East. It's made by grilling vegetables of all kinds and serving them in a pita or larger flatbread. This eggplant kebab is seasoned with za'atar and served with crunchy salad, creamy tahini, and a drizzle of tahini on top. What’s great about this recipe is that it’s completely oil-free, without salt, and plant-based. It’s filled with great spices, crunchy salad, creamy hummus and, of course, tahini drizzled on top. You can bake the eggplant in the oven, or put it on the grill – just until it's mushy inside and crispy on the outside.
Eggplant Kebab With Tahini Sauce [Vegan]
For the Eggplant Kebab:
- 2 laffa (taboon) flatbread
- Fresh parsley
- 1 big eggplant, cut into cubes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Green onions, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, sliced
- 1-2 sour pickles, sliced
For the Spices Batter:
- 1-2 teaspoons za’atar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1/3 cup water
For the Tahini Dressing:
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- A dash of black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 390°F. Alternatively, prepare your grill (you'll need a grill pan to roast the eggplant on).
- Wash your eggplant and cut it into cubes. Place in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- Place all the spices, flour and water in a bowl and mix together with a spoon. Alternatively, place everything in your blender and mix for 5 seconds.
- Pour the mixture over the eggplant cubes and combine with your hands until all cubes are covered.
- Prepare a baking tray with parchment paper and place the eggplant on it. Make sure to spread the cubes across the whole sheet.
- Bake at 390°F for 40-45 minutes. The eggplant should be dark brown, crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside.
- In the meantime, cut all the vegetables for the filling.
- Prepare the tahini by pouring all ingredients into a small bowl and whisking together. If you want it to be more/less liquid, increase/reduce the amount of water.
- Heat up both sides of the flatbread in a pan and spread the hummus inside. Assemble all the vegetables, eggplant, and herbs inside and sprinkle with the tahini dressing.