Eggplant hummus wraps with smoky tomato confit — loaded with creamy hummus, roasted smoky tomatoes, and chopped Kalamata olives. These wraps taste amazing and are the perfect meal or appetizer! The slight smokiness of the tomatoes and the light garlic flavor go so well with the juicy charred eggplant flesh; you won’t miss the dough.
Eggplant Hummus Wraps With Smoky Tomato Confit [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Eggplant Hummus Wraps With Smoky Tomato Confit [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Hummus:
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons liquid from canned chickpeas (or water)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Eggplant Wraps:
- 2 large eggplants
- 1/2 cup pitted, chopped Kalamata olives or olive tapenade
- 1 cup hummus
- 1/2 cup smoky tomato confit (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
For the Smoky Tomato Confit:
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons smoked olive oil or regular olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
How to Prepare Eggplant Hummus Wraps With Smoky Tomato Confit [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Make the Hummus:
In the bowl of your food processor, add all ingredients for the hummus, and process for a minute, until smooth. Add more lemon juice or water, if too thick.
Make the Smoky Tomato Confit:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, and mix with the olive oil, and spices. Spread on a baking tray, lined with parchment paper, and roast for about an hour.
- Let cool, and store in a glass jar. Make a double dose and use the rest in salads.
Make the Eggplant Wraps:
- Cut off the sides from each eggplant vertically and cut the flesh into 4 1/4-inch thick slices, for a total of 8 slices. Sprinkle with salt liberally, and leave in a colander for 15-20 minutes until they release their dark, bitter liquid. Rinse, and pat dry.
- Brush the eggplant pieces liberally with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle again with salt.
- Preheat your grill on high, or oven broiler, and cook the eggplant pieces for about 5 minutes per side, or until very soft, and charred on the outside. Let the eggplants cool completely.
- Cut the Kalamata olives into small pieces.
- Assemble the eggplant wraps by spreading 2-3 tablespoons of the hummus, top with 2 tablespoons roasted tomatoes, and 1-2 tablespoons of the chopped Kalamata olives. Secure with a toothpick or serve wrapped in lettuce leaves for easy picking.
- Optionally, add pita chip pieces in each wrap for added crunch and flavor.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 333 | Carbs: 23 g | Fat: 28 g | Protein: 6 g | Sodium: 682 mg | Sugar: 6 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.