In my household we cannot get enough of this healthy vegan chipotle aioli and fists have flown over it. Okay, not really because we’re pretty generous, but seriously, it’s lick the bowl worthy. Pair it with these eggplant fries with a kick and you've got a winning team!
Eggplant Fries With Chipotle Aioli [Vegan]
- 1 eggplant
- 3/4-1 cup almond meal (you may have to add a bit more as you go depending on size of eggplant)
- 1 tablespoon. chopped herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup almond milk
For the Chipotle Aioli:
- 1 4-ounce package hemp tofu
- 1/2 can artichoke hearts + 2 teaspoon liquid
- 3 tablespoons almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and 1 tablespoon sauce
To Make the Fries:
- Pre-heat oven to 400˚F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove stem from eggplant and peel off skin. (It is okay if some remains on). Cut lengthwise until you get 4-5 long layers. Sprinkle with salt, cover with a paper towel and let sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Dab excess moisture off of eggplant and cut into french fry shapes.
- Pour almond milk into another bowl. Mix herbs, salt, and pepper together in a shallow bowl with almond meal.
- Dip eggplant into almond milk, then coat with almond meal mixture. lay on baking sheet in one layer and bake for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for another 10 minutes. Turn fried over and bake for another 5 minutes.
To Make the Aioli:
- Combine ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
You can use soy tofu if you’re having a hard time finding hemp tofu, but I have found it in several markets. Ask your natural foods grocer if they carry any. Lemon pepper garlic-1 small clove garlic, 1/2 juice lemon, zest of 1/2 lemon, black pepper, salt.