This eggless French toast is lightly crisp on the outside, pillowy and custardy on the inside. Enjoy it with a drizzle of maple syrup and your favorite toppings!
Eggless French Toast [Vegan]
- 7 - 8 regular bread slices, preferably stale bread
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 2 heaped tablespoons cornstarch/custard powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, add as required
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free butter, or as required
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the griddle/non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Combine all the ingredients in a shallow bowl, except for the bread and butter. Mix well to make sure the cornstarch/custard powder has dissolved.
- Dip both sides of each bread slice into the mixture, just enough to coat both the sides. Remove it before it gets soaked completely.
- Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Cook coated bread slice until it is golden brown on one side, then flip and cook the side. Depending on the size of your pan, you may cook in batches. Prepare the rest of the French toast in the same way. Remember to whisk the batter each time before using as cornstarch has a tendency to settle at the bottom. Serve immediately, drizzled with a sweetener and toppings of your choice.