When I created this Caesar salad, I did a silly dance around the kitchen. Seriously — it is that good. And the name is perfect for it. I’m betting that this Caesar salad dressing is like nothing you’ve ever tasted. It is extremely eccentric and undeniably delicious. Who would have thought that curry powder would be the perfect addition to a Caesar dressing? Not me, before I took the risk of adding it — but now, I am a total convert. And the nutritional yeast gives this dressing a cheese-like flavor that could please even the most omnivorous Caesar salad connoisseur. This recipe makes extra dressing that you can store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Topped with croutons, capers, avocado, and hemp seeds, this dynamic salad will delight your adventurous taste buds.
Cheesy Caesar Salad [Vegan]
For the Caesar Dressing
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Salad:
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce, chopped or torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups croutons
- 1 ripe avocado, medium diced
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup capers
- To make the dressing: Combine the cashews, oil, lemon juice, yeast, mustard, garlic, salt, curry powder, and pepper in a food processor and add ¼ cup plus 3 tbsp/75 ml warm water. Process until the mixture is very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice.
- To make the salad: Toss the romaine with ½ cup/120 ml of the dressing. Add more to taste if desired. Divide the lettuce among six plates, and top each with some of the croutons, avocado, hemp seeds, and capers. Serve immediately.
- Nutritional Yeast / Nooch