This is an easy and simple pilaf recipe that will save your weeknights! It'll be your go-to recipe when you're busy, but still need something delicious and nourishing.
Easy Weeknight Pilaf [Vegan]
- 1 cup basmati or white rice
- 2 cups tomato boullion, prepared according to the package
- 1 - 2 bay leaves depending on the size
- 1 cup vegetables, diced small (onions, peppers and zucchini work well, but feel free to mix and match)
- 2 cups (15 1/2 ounce can) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 3 servings any other vegan protein, cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for sauteeing
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper to taste
- a generous handful shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup or more pitted prunes, cut into small pieces (dates would be a good substitute)
- 1/4 cup or more chopped fresh parsley or dill
- zest of a small orange and a couple tablespoons of the juice (optional)
- Bring the boullion to a boil in a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid. When boiling, add the rice and the bay leaves. Reduce the heat to low and cover with the lid. Cook for about 20 until the broth has been absorbed and the rice is just tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or dutch oven, saute the chopped veggies in a small amount of olive oil along with the turmeric, coriander, salt and pepper.
- When the veggies are tender add the chickpeas and stir to coat with the oil and spices. Cook until warmed through or cooked, depending on your choice of protein. Add more oil if needed.
- Remove the bay leaves then add the cooked rice, pistachios, prunes, chopped parsley, orange zest and juice to the skillet. Stir until well combined.