These sopes are crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, and loaded with toppings!
Easy Sopes [Vegan]
For the Sopes:
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 recipe refried beans
To Serve (optional):
- Neutral oil for frying
- Vegan queso fresco
- Avocado cubes
- Salsa fresca
- Vegan Mexican crema
- Pickled jalapeños
For the Dough:
- Add the masa harina and salt to a mixing bowl and combine. Then, add in 1 1/2 cups of warm water to start and mix together using your hands.
- Begin kneading the dough to form a ball that's sticky enough to stay together, but not coming off on your hands. Keep mixing and pressing with your palm for a few minutes.
- If the dough appears too crumbly, add a tablespoon of water at a time until you are able to form a texture similar to play-dough. If it becomes too sticky, add in a little more masa harina.
For Rolling:Next, start breaking off pieces of the masa dough to form small balls (about 60-65g each, or the size of a golf ball). Roll each piece of dough in between your palms until smooth. You should get about 9-10 sopes out of this recipe. Cover all the dough balls with a tea towel on your counter or cutting board.
- If you have a tortilla press, cut a zip lock bag into 2 pieces that will fit into the press (one for each side of the sope).
- Open the press and place a ball of dough in the center on a piece of plastic. Place the other plastic piece on top and close the press down quite gently to form thick tortillas (about 1/4 -inch).
- If you don't have a tortilla press, place your ball of dough between the same 2 pieces of plastic on your counter. Press the dough down with the bottom of a baking dish or flat plate until it's about ¼-inch thick
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet for 8-10 minutes up to medium-low or medium (medium-low works best). Then, add a sope in and cook on the first side for 60-70 seconds. Flip and cook for another 60-90 seconds, or until brown spots are forming (70 seconds on the first side and 80 seconds on the second works best).
- Remove from heat and let the first sope rest while you add in the next sope. After about 30-60 seconds, pull a little dough from the inner portion of the cooked sope and pinch it out to the edge with your thumb and index finger to form a ridge all the way around.
- Cover the sope with a tea towel, and repeat this process until all are cooked.
- Heat about 1/4 cup of neutral oil in the same cast-iron skillet over medium-low or medium (depending on your stove). Fry each sope on both sides for about 20-30 seconds, or until they appear a light golden color. Remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to get rid of any excess oil.
- Serve your sopes with a layer of refried beans on the bottom. Top them with any of the following: salsa fresca, avocado cubes, vegan queso fresco, vegan Mexican crema, cilantro, lime, or hot sauce. Enjoy!
1 g = 1 mL of water While frying the sopes in oil isn't necessary, we think it crisps them up perfectly to compliment the creamy refried beans and other garnishes.