Look at that color! Plus add a big bonus for gut health. Top your salads with this gorgeous pickled dish for some extra nutrients!
Easy Pickled Red Cabbage [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 medium head red cabbage
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 cup of fresh, filtered water
- 1 teaspoon of a sweetener of your choice
- 4 larger cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 jalapeno, sliced (optional)
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons caraway or fennel seeds
- Slice your cabbage on a mandoline or with a very sharp knife into super thin ribbons. Add those to a glass jar that you can use for storage.
- Into a saucepan add your water, vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a boil, whisking to melt the sugar. Then remove from the heat and add your garlic, jalapeño, bay leaves and seeds. Pour the mixture over the red cabbage carefully. Push the cabbage down to compact it into the jar a bit. Cover and store at room temperature for 4 hours or so. It's ready to consume at this point or store in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.