The best carrot cake is moist and sweet with just the right amount of spice, and this vegan version definitely hits the spot! It's also incredibly easy!
Easy Carrot Cake [Vegan]
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (all purpose flour)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound carrots (grated)
- 2/3 cups shredded coconut
- 3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds + 1/2 plus 1 tablespoon water)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oil (coconut oil, olive oil, canola oil)
- 2/3 cups almond milk (or orange juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
- add ins: zest of 1 orange, 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1–2 tablespoon water, almond milk, or orange juice
- toasted coconut flakes
- chopped walnuts
- Prepare the flax eggs first by whisking together 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds with 9 tablespoons water. Stir until well combined and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare bundt pan by either spraying it or greasing the inside well.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix in grated carrots and shredded coconut.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar, brown sugar, and flax eggs. Add oil, almond milk, and vanilla. Beat well, until mixture lightens in color.
- Transfer the wet ingredients to the flour mixture. Using a rubber spatular, mix until thoroughly combined. If using nuts or other add ins, stir them in until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake 50 min-1 hour.
- Remove pan from oven and let cake cool 15 minutes in the pan, on a wire rack.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake and remove cake from pan. Cool cake completely on the wire rack.
- To make the topping, whisk together the powdered sugar, and liquid of choice until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Top with toasted coconut flakes and chopped walnuts.