An apple pie that is both delicious and considered "clean eating"? Nope, this is not a joke! Since this galette is made with spelt flour, coconut butter, and plenty of apples, it is not only sweet and simple-to-make, it's relatively good for you! Sprinkle with a little coconut sugar and indulge away!
Easy Apple Galette [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, chilled or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon chia seeds plus 3 tablespoons water)
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
For the Apple Filling:
- 2 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons date syrup or any other sweetener
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- Coconut sugar (optional)
- Mix together the chia egg ingredients and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 356°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine the spelt flour with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl. Cut the chilled coconut butter into chunks and mix carefully into the flour until the butter is the size of peas, do not stir too much.
- Add chia egg.
- Slowly add 6-8 tablespoons of cold water until the dough holds nicely together.
- Cover it in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for a bit while you make your apple filling.
- To make the filling, mix date syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Add the sliced apples and toss to coat. Make sure all the slices are nicely covered.
- Take the dough out and roll out on a floured surface. Transfer to your prepared baking tray.
- Place the coated apple slices in the middle of the dough, either arranging them in an even layer, or in a circle.
- Fold over the edges of the dough and brush gently with some butter.
- If you have, you can sprinkle some coconut sugar on the top to make it more crunchy.
- Pop in the oven for around 50 minutes, or until brown.