Tea isn’t just for drinking. It makes fragrant sponge cakes too! Try this recipe at your next tea party.
Earl Grey ‘Honey’ Loaf Cake With Coconut Cream Glaze [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup, plus heaped 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 Earl Grey teabags
- 3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons ground flax seed, plus 9 tablespoons warm water)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup or agave nectar
- 3/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
For the Coconut Cream Glaze:
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 3 heaped tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla soy milk
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 7 1/2-inch oaf pan. Set aside for now.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Empty four of the Earl Grey teabags into the bowl as well; the fifth one will be for the topping.
- If you haven’t already, mix the flax eggs in a small bowl and set aside for a few minutes to let them gel; also melt the coconut oil if it’s solid (you can do this over a bowl of freshly boiled water).
- Fold the wet ingredients – oil, golden syrup, soy milk, and flax eggs – into the dry ingredients. Be careful not to overmix as this can cause the batter to become lumpy and tough; simply incorporate the ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out of the cake clean. Cool on a wire rack before releasing the cake from its pan.
For the coconut cream glaze:
- Whisk together the ingredients in a bowl until combined and smooth. Start whisking slowly or risk getting powdered sugar all over yourself!
- Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and sprinkle over the tea leaves from the remaining teabag.