I use actual rum, hence “Drunken Rum Raisin.” Even that little raisin looks a little tipsy, like it’s about to fall out of the ice cream scoop! Warning: Little kids should be careful. It doesn’t taste overly rummy but still…it’s got liquor!
Drunken Rum Raisin Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 1 cup raisins (I used half golden, half Thompson)
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 3/4 cup vegan sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place the raisins in a small container with a tight fitting lid and add the rum. Cover and shake to evenly coat the raisins. Leave sitting out at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
- Combine coconut milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl and chill for at least two hours.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and churn for 10 minutes. When it is almost done, add the raisins and rum liquid.
- Turn out into a Tovolo container or a freezer safe container with a piece of wax paper on top. Enjoy!
Pure rum is gluten-free, but make sure to check labels on any mixes as additives may not be.