If you are looking to impress at your next tea party, this recipe is a must. These delicious chocolate cookies are the perfect addition to any tea or coffee mug. Plus, if you're feeling adventurous you can make cookie sandwiches out of them and really show off.
Devil’s Food Cake Perched Cookies [Vegan]
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- Vegan buttercream frosting (optional)
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the butter, shortening, and sugar together on a high speed using an electric or stand mixer for 5 minutes. Then turn the mixer to low.
- Add the non-dairy milk and extracts while you're mixing the dough.
- Sift in half of the dry ingredients and mix them until they're incorporated.
- Repeat this process with the second half of the dry ingredients.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap, and put it in the refrigerator to chill for 3-4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and remove one dough ball from the refrigerator.
- Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to roll it out.
- Roll as thinly as possible.
- Remove the top piece of parchment and cut out as many shapes as you can, dipping your cookie cutter into flour when needed to keep it from sticking.
- Bake them for 8 minutes.
- Cool them on trays for 5 minutes.
- Use the "butter" cream frosting to make cookie sandwiches.
If you have the time, your can use "butter" cream frosting to make cookie sandwiches.