A flavorful and meaty buffalo pizza that is very simple and easily adaptable! Try this recipe on a cold autumn or winter evening for a vegan twist on a nostalgic favorite.
Buffalo Seitan Deep Dish Pizza [Vegan]
To Make the Whole Wheat Sourdough Pizza Dough:
- 1 cup active starter
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonaise
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella (or vegan cheese of your choice)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup sliced red pepper
- 1/4 cup diced scallions
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce of your choice
- 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups of seitan
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons oil to cook
- 1/4 cup hot buffalo sauce
- 1/3 cup each fresh minced basil and kale, chard, or spinach
- 1 cup more vegan mozzarella
- Mix the first four ingredients together, then slowly add flour until you get a soft, pliable dough.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and let it sit at room temp for as long as it needs to nearly double. This may be upwards of a whole day depending on your environment. Flavor and texture build with time. If you don't have the time for the cold proofing, just bake it then and there--no worries. But try the extending the time sometime; it's amazing.
- Once you've got a dough ready, then it's time to evolve your pizza game.
- Bread your seitan, pan-fry to crispy perfection and smother with a heaping helping of buffalo sauce, vegan mayo, garlic powder, lemon juice, and smoked paprika. Chill.
- Into a pre-greased 10-inch cast iron skillet, do the following. Lay out one of your crusts, rolled thin and lightly floured.
- Then top it with this stuff, in the order of the toppings listed.
- Bake at 425°F. for 23-27 minutes until the bottom's just getting dark. Serve immediately.
- Buffalo Sauce