What's not to love about this giant cookie? It's rich, chocolatey, soft like butter, and the chocolate and cherry flavors blend seamlessly together, especially when topped with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. The skillet speeds up the cook time, making the wait time between cooking and devouring even shorter.
Dark Chocolate Cherry Skillet Cookie [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Dark Chocolate Cherry Skillet Cookie [Vegan]
For the Cookie:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios
- 1/2 cup vegan vanilla ice cream
For the Cherry Syrup:
- 2 cups cherries, seeds removed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup pistachios, crushed
How to Prepare Dark Chocolate Cherry Skillet Cookie [Vegan]
To Make the Cookie:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Rub coconut oil or butter on a 9-inch cast iron skillet, then set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, cacao, baking soda, baking powder,and salt until combined. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut sugar, butter, and 1/2 banana, together on medium-high speed. Add in the vanilla and cherry extract.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, beating on medium speed until just combined. Using a spatula, fold in the vegan chocolate chips and dried cherries until evenly combined.
- Press the dough into the prepared skillet, making sure it’s evenly spread out. Bake for 15-16 minutes. The cookie may look a bit undercooked, but this is normal (it’ll settle more as it cools down).
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. Top with vegan vanilla ice cream, cherry drizzle, and pistachios.
To Make the Cherry Syrup:
- Add the cherries to a pan over medium heat, cook for 7-10 mins. Cherries should soften and juice will collect. Remove from heat and place in a cheese cloth or nut milk mesh bag and drain the liquid from the cherries. Place back onto the pan and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the arrowroot a little at a time or you can combine it with the lemon juice and add to the mixture. Whisk to combine and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until it thickens.
- Plate your pancakes, then top with crushed pistachios and the cherry syrup.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.