It’s creamy, it’s cheesy, and it’s super easy and quick to make. This vegan Sweet Potato Mac n Cheese has hints of curry flavor and an uber creamy texture. Topped with breadcrumbs and quickly broiled to create a perfectly crispy top.
Curried Sweet Potato Mac n’ Cheese [Vegan]
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1-inch piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup non-dairy, unsweetened milk such as almond milk
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon miso paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tapioca or corn starch
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder & paprika
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 oz. macaroni noodles
- Pierce sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Wrap in a wet paper towel and microwave for 6 minutes until soft. Scrape flesh into a high-speed blender.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and ginger. Saute for 5-6 min. until fragrant and translucent. Add to blender. Add the remaining ingredients (except breadcrumbs). Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Turn oven on to high broil. Grease two small cast iron skillets (alternatively, a small baking dish) with vegan butter or oil.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and add back to saucepan. Pour over sauce and stir to combine. Divide evenly among the two skillets (or baking dish). Top with breadcrumbs and broil for 4-5 min. until golden brown (see notes).
- Serve with freshly ground black pepper and a dash of red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
Oven temperatures vary, so pay close attention to the pasta when it is broiling. Don’t want it to burn!
- Sweet Potato