These light and delicious Indian-inspired dosas are filled with an incredibly flavorful, yet simple chickpea curry. Very easy to make with minimal and inexpensive ingredients — budget-friendly eating at its finest! Make this meal for your next culinary adventure and delight your taste buds.
Curried Chickpea Dosas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dosas:
- 1 cup spelt (do not use if you are gluten-free) or chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup soy milk or almond milk
- 3/4 cup water
For the Chickpea Curry:
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large carrot, chopped or processed
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 hot banana chili or 3-4 jarred banana rings (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 cups cooked/canned chickpeas, rinsed well and drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (for pan)
To Make the Dosas:
- Combine all dry ingredients (sifting flour for best results) in a small bowl. Add in milk and water, stirring until all clumps are gone and the batter is smooth. Batter should be thin but not watery.
- Ladle approximately 1/2 cup batter onto a lightly greased frying pan and spread out in a circular motion with the back of the ladle until you have a smooth, thin, round. These will cook quickly.
- After about a minute, carefully flip over and cook the other side for another minute. You will know they are cooked by the small air bubbles. Makes eight dosas.
To Make the Chickpea Curry:
- Heat oil in pan. Gently saute chopped onion, garlic and spices over medium heat until fragrant and translucent. Add in carrot and pepper and saute until soft.
- Briefly mash chickpeas in a food processor, making sure to leave some chunks.
- Add mashed chickpeas and tomato paste to pan. Stir well to combine all ingredients and leave to heat until all is cooked through. Adjust spices to taste.
- Stuff chickpea curry inside a rolled dosa, or serve ontop as you would a flat pancake.
- Top with raw cucumber, raw tomato, shredded coconut, and lemon tahini dressing (optional)