Broccoli, cucumber, tomato, chickpeas, olives, kale, fresh herbs, and a refreshing sherry vinaigrette are the main components of this super healthy and delicious salad. While it’s hearty enough for a main course, it also makes a great side salad.
Crunchy Mediterranean Salad [Vegan]
To Prepare the Salad:
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (1 - 15 oz can)
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 20 grape tomatoes, sliced into rounds or in half
- 1 cup broccoli florets*
- 1/2 cup small dice red onion
- 1 bunch kale, cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 to 3 cups romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon sweetener, such as agave (optional)
Assembling the Salad:
- 2 to 4 tablespoon fresh herbs (such as basil and parsley)
To Make the Dressing:
- Mince the garlic and place into a small bowl or jar. Add the sherry vinegar followed by the olive oil.
- This dressing is meant to be rather tart; however, the amount of vinegar and oil can be adjusted to your liking.
- Next, whisk or shake the jar to combine the ingredients.
- Then taste for seasoning adding sweetener, salt, and pepper to taste.
To Prepare the Salad:
- For the broccoli, cut the crown into quite small florets. Basically, all the vegetables should be roughly the same size so you get a nice mouthful of everything together.
- To assemble the salad, add the kale to a large bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of vinaigrette and gently toss and scrunch the kale with your hands.
- Next, add the romaine, broccoli, cucumber, red onions, and another tablespoon or so of the vinaigrette. Gently toss to combine the ingredients.
- Next, add the tomatoes, olives, and fresh herbs. If using fresh basil, which is really nice, simply tear the leaves into big pieces and add to the salad.
- For the parsley, just roughly chop and add it to the salad.Lastly, taste for seasoning, adding a bit of salt and/or pepper as needed.
- This delicious salad makes a great meal, or it can be served as a refreshing and healthy side