This sandwich carries all the decadent French flavors of the classic, but in a vegan version that is absolutely delicious. Who couldn't love melty vegan cheese in addition to all the other rich and tasty flavors? This Croque Monsieur will become your ultimate comfort food.
Croque Monsieur [Vegan]
- 4 slices bread
- 1 7-ounce bag vegan shredded cheese
- vegan deli slices
- Mustard (spicy or dijon)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk
- Melt vegan butter in a pot. Once butter melts add in flour. When it starts to bubble whisk in almond milk. Cook on a low simmer for 3 minutes or so. Don’t allow sauce to get golden or burn. You can add herbs or spices.
- Lay bread on baking sheet. Apply a layer of bechamel sauce, then cheese, deli slices, dijon and more cheese. Top with bread and add more bechamel sauce and cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 10 minutes. You can broil to darken the cheese, but be careful not to burn the edges.
- All Vegan Cheese