This is my vegan take on the classic Waldorf salad! This satisfying evergreen dish truly has it all. It’s crunchy, creamy and refreshing and has a nice protein boost thanks to the nutritious chickpeas. Best of all, you just need to toss all the ingredients together, making it a super quick and healthy lunch option. Reprinted with permission from The Vegan Bean Cookbook by Andrea Soranidis, Page Street Publishing Co. 2021. Photo credit: Andrea Soranidis
Crispy Chickpea Waldorf Salad [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 large Honeycrisp or Fuji apples, cored and cubed
- 3 celery stalks, cubed
- 1 (15.5-oz [440-g]) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (80 g) red grapes, halved
- 1/2 cup (60 g) walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup (30 g) pecans, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and maple syrup until all the ingredients are combined.
- In a large bowl, add in the apples, celery, chickpeas, grapes, walnuts and pecans. Pour the prepared dressing all over the salad, then toss everything together, season with 1/4 teaspoon (or to taste) of sea salt, and add freshly cracked black pepper to taste and serve.
Feel free to play with different beans! For this salad, I find that chickpeas and black-eyed peas are my favorite options in terms of flavor and texture.