Delicious chickpea veggie burgers that are packed with flavor. This veggie burger holds well during cooking and has a perfect texture with a little crunch from sunflower seeds. All made with basic ingredients!
Crispy Chickpea Burgers [Vegan]
- 1 cup chickpeas (canned or cooked from scratch)
- Flax egg (2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely grated
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, raw or dry-roasted, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for cooking
- Make your flax egg: Add your ground flax seeds to a small bowl with water. Set aside.
- Chop your onion and garlic. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, add your chickpeas, tahini, and flax egg. Blend a few seconds until the chickpeas are almost smooth. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the oats, carrots, sunflower seeds, cooked garlic and onions, oregano, cumin, coriander, salt, soy sauce, and olive oil to the bowl. Mix it all together until combined.
- With slightly wet hands, form 4 patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick skillet (or cast-iron skillet) over medium heat.
- Gently place the patties on the skillet and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until the patties are lightly golden and crispy on the outside.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully flip the patties and bake for another 10 minutes until slightly crispy on the outside.