It's amazing what you can turn into bread nowadays. This brightly colored, crispy flatbread is made from beets, oat flour, and sunflower seeds, and bakes beautifully in the oven. Top this with hummus, avocado and artichokes for a wholesome meal, or use your favorite toppings!
Crispy Beet Flatbread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Flatbread:
- 3 medium beets, washed and peeled
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax, plus 3 tablespoons warm water)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Beet greens
- Pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Wash, peel, and cut beets into quarters until you get a small size as pictured above. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway throughout. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Increase oven heat to 425°F.
- In a blender or food processor, blend roasted beets with remaining ingredients until smooth. (This should be similar to a hummus texture). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With a rubber spatula spoon beet “dough” onto the parchment paper and smooth out the dough in a rectangle or oval shape until even, keeping it about 1/4-inch think. To make sure that the edges are thick enough, use a knife as a “wall” when smoothing out the dough to avoid burning at the edges. Place in oven for 15-18 minutes.
- While the flatbread is cooking, heat skillet over medium heat and sauté beet greens (or spinach or arugula) until lightly cooked. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the flatbread from oven and top with hummus, beet greens, artichoke, pumpkin seeds, and avocado or any toppings of your choice