Not only does this crêpe cake does look absolutely fantastic – it's also delightful to eat. While it looks like quite a production, this cake is actually very simple to make. Stack your crêpes atop on another and layer each with a bit of coconut cream and then top it off with a homemade strawberry sauce and voilà – an impressive dessert with no stress or hassle.
Crêpe Cake With Coconut Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crêpes:
- 1 2/3 cups light gluten-free flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- Vanilla, to taste
- Ground bourbon vanilla, to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons carob kernels (or another binding agent)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 2/3 cups gluten-free oat milk
For the Strawberry Sauce:
- 7 ounces strawberries, without stalk
- 3 1/2-5 ounces jam
- Sugar (optional)
For the Coconut Cream:
- 2-3 cans coconut milk (just the solid) 2-3 tablespoons of sugar (optional)
To Make the Crêpes:
- Place all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl and stir them thoroughly until a batter forms and starts to thicken– about 1 minute.
- Add some coconut oil to a coated hot pan and spread the oil well with a brush.
- Stir the crêpe batter briefly and pour 1/12th into the center of the pan. If necessary, swirl the pan briefly so that the dough is distributed better. The pan should not become too hot, otherwise, the dough will burn.
- Set the crêpe aside after about 1-2 minutes. The gluten-free crêpes may need a little more time depending on the temperature they are cooked at.
- Repeat this process until the dough is gone. You should get around 12 crêpes depending on the size you're making them.
- Place the individual crêpes on baking paper and leave to cool.
To Make the Rest:
- Mix all the ingredients for the strawberry sauce together in a blender and then refrigerate the sauce.
- For the coconut cream, chill the cans and remove the solid portions of each and add them to a bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix this well, whipping it into a creamy mass.
- Place the coconut cream in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Place the individual crêpes on a plate or a cake plate with little coconut cream in between each layer.
- Add the rest of the coconut cream to the outside of the crêpe cake, spread it, and place it in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Shortly before serving take out the strawberry sauce, slice some strawberries, add both to the top of the cake, and top it all with powdered sugar before serving.