Tomato Soup is such a classic! The simmered tomatoes and carrots in this recipe naturally taste a little sweet and, combined with the coconut milk, make a creamy, comforting bowl of goodness that’s perfect for cold nights, or when your body could use a little post-treatment care.
Creamy Tomato Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For Extra Boosts:
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds or sunflower seeds
- Place a large pot on the stove and heat the olive oil over medium. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Then add the celery, carrots, broth, coconut milk, diced tomatoes, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly and then carefully pour into a blender. Blend the soup until creamy. Be careful during this step because the soup will be very hot. Start blending on low, hold the blender lid down firmly with a towel and don’t overfill it, then incrementally increase the speed.
- Garnish with basil and serve. Sprinkle hemp seeds or sunflower seeds on top for extra texture and protein. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for 2–3 months.