This Vegan Potato Salad is vibrant and healthy, but it also tastes decadent and creamy!
Creamy Potato Salad [Vegan]
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 & 1/2 cup of sweet potatoes (about 1 large sweet potato) cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 cups of regular potatoes (about 4-5 medium-sized potatoes) cut into similar-sized cubes
- 2 handfuls of fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 1/4 of a red onion, sliced as thinly as you can manage
- 3 large gherkins (dill pickles)
FOR THE VEGAN MAYO:
- 2 heaping tablespoons of soy yogurt
- 1 small teaspoon of mild mustard (mine has a lot of different spices in it, including turmeric!)
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of thinly chopped fresh herbs - or 1 tablespoon dry (think parsley and chives mostly, but tarragon or even mint could be added if you like or if you want to switch things up)
- 1/3 teaspoon of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, add the potato chunks
- After about 5 minutes, add in the sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes don't usually take quite as long as regular potatoes. Another thing you can do is chop the sweet potatoes to be a little bigger than the regular potatoes and throw everything in at the same time.
- In the meantime, lightly steam or boil the green beans for about 6 minutes if they are fresh or a little less if frozen. You want them to still have a little crunch to them. Once they are done, drain the water away and immediately run the green beans under some cold water to stop the cooking process and retain the beans' vibrant green colour.
- Once the potatoes and sweet potatoes can easily be pierced with a sharp knife, take them off the hob and drain the water away.
- Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes and green beans to a salad bowl.
- Add in the thinly sliced onion (if you have a mandolin, now is the time to use it!)
- Cut the gherkins (or pickles) in half lengthwise and then slice before adding to the bowl.
- Now to make the vegan mayo, all you need to do is combine the necessary ingredients.
- Add the mayo to the salad, give it a toss. Make sure everything is well coated but be delicate!
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- This salad will keep in the fridge for several days, which makes it ideal for meal prep!