This creamy potato chowder is comforting, easy to make, and will keep you full! It incorporates red potatoes to create a rich base that's made even more indulgent thanks to the addition of raw cashews and hemp seeds.
Creamy Potato Chowder [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 10 cups water or low- or no-sodium vegetable stock
- 5-6 medium red potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 1 orange pepper, chopped finely
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium vegetable soup base
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add onions and water saute for 10 minutes or so, adding 1 tablespoon of water at a time if they stick too much. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute, until garlic becomes fragrant, making sure it doesn't burn.
- Add the rest of the water or stock, potatoes, peppers, and seasoning to the pot. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender all the way through.
- In a high-speed blender, add the cashews, hemp seeds, and a few cups of the potato soup and blend until creamy. Add this mixture back to the soup pot, season with pepper and stir to combine. Note: If you have a regular blender, you will want to soak the cashews and hemp seeds in some of the soup for about 30 minutes before blending to soften. This can be done right in the blender container.