Sautéed oyster mushrooms make the perfect plant-based swap for clams in this creamy New England–style chowder that you’ll want to make again and again. Don’t forget the bread for dipping! Reprinted with permission from 30 Minute Vegan Dinners by Megan Sadd, copyright Page Street Publishing 2019. Photo by Megan Sadd.
Creamy New England Chowder [Vegan]
For the Chowder:
- 1 large leek
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kelp powder, divided
- 8 ounces fingerling or other tiny potatoes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose or brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces oyster mushrooms (roughly 3 large clusters)
- 1 teaspoon tamari or reduced- sodium soy sauce
For the Cashew Cream:
- 2/3 cup pre-soaked cashews
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Water to blend (about 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup frozen corn, fire roasted preferred
- Small handful fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- Oyster crackers, vegan biscuits or sourdough rolls
- Rinse the leek well and trim off the bottom. Put 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Use a food processor fitted with a slicer attachment to thinly slice the leek, then put the leeks in the pan. Mince the garlic, then add the garlic and 1 teaspoon kelp powder to the leeks and mix well.
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise and then cut them smaller using the food processor. Add the potatoes to the pan, then the flour, nutritional yeast, paprika, pepper, bay leaf, dried thyme and wine. Stir after each addition. Cook for 1 minute and then add the broth. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Simmer until the potatoes soften, about 10 minutes. If it’s reducing too quickly, reduce the heat to medium-low or add more broth as needed. Rinse and chop the mushrooms while the potatoes cook.
- Put 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a second pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Change the attachment on your food processor to the S-blade.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan. Drizzle the tamari and 1/2 teaspoon of kelp powder on the mushrooms. Cook until the liquid boils off, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make the cashew cream. Add the cashews, lemon juice, salt and water to the food processor. Process until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Stop to scrape down the sides if needed. Stir the cream into the chowder, and then add the corn and cooked mushrooms. Mince the parsley.
- Taste, adjust the seasonings and add salt if desired. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavor profile if needed. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with oyster crackers, vegan biscuits or sourdough rolls.
Swap king oyster, trumpet, lion’s mane or any other very tender mushroom you can find for the oyster mushrooms. If you are cutting the potatoes by hand, slice them in half lengthwise, then into 1/4-inch slices. This will increase the prep time.