The secret ingredient for its amazing texture and creaminess is a combination of chickpeas and cashews. Sounds crazy but is worth the try!
Creamy Cheesecake [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 cup dried figs/Medjool dates/raisins
- dash of water
- dash of sea salt
- 2 cups soaked cashews
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1-2 tablespoons almond/cashew butter
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 1.5 lemon
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 can (400ml) full-fat coconut milk (to keep it lower in fat you can use ½ can coconut milk + ½ block/100g silken tofu - it adds nutrients and the result is even more creamy)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups frozen unsweetened cherries
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- For the crust, place the oats and almonds in your high-speed blender or food processor and pulse until you have a fine flour.
- Add the remaining crust ingredients and blend until you have a sticky dough.
- Line a round cake tin with parchment paper and press the dough into the bottom of the tin.
- Use your fingers and eventually a bit of water to evenly press it down and put in the fridge to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F.
- Prepare the filling by simply adding all ingredients to the blender and mixing on medium speed until smooth (use your tamper tool to mash it down).
- Once smooth, pour the filling over the crust and place in the oven for 45-50 minutes. If your oven is very strong like mine and browns the surface too fast, make sure to turn the cake once in a while so it browns evenly.
- Once it's done, take it out, let cool down and store in the fridge overnight (it will firm up).
- The next day, prepare the cherry sauce. Add all the ingredients into a small sauce pan, bring to a simmer over medium heat and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir once in a while and serve on top of the cake.