This pasta bake has all of that creaminess you want from baked pasta without the need for milk. This recipe doesn’t actually use any milk, non-dairy or otherwise. The cauliflower and potato make a rich sauce, which is then thickened by a roux. Nutritional yeast gives a cheesy flavor without adding any dairy. And the bread crumbs on top add a crispy finish.
Creamy Cauliflower Penne Bake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1.1 pounds penne pasta (use gluten-free pasta if needed)
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1 potato, cut into cubes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour (you can use gluten-free flour)
- 2-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 tablespoons bread crumbs (gluten-free if needed)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes only. Then drain and set aside.
- In a small pot, add the vegetable stock, cauliflower, and potato. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Purée the stock, cauliflower, and potato mixture until smooth.
- Add the nutritional yeast (if using) to the cauliflower mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In another pot, heat the olive oil and add the onion. Cook until soft.
- Add the flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Then add the puréed cauliflower mixture to the flour.
- Cook until thick.
- Mix the sauce with the pasta and add to a baking dish.
- Add a layer of bread crumbs and bake for 30 minutes until the pasta gets a little golden around the edges.